Monday, January 30, 2012

Untitled

To everyone who supported my letter:
Thank you. Thank you for understanding, thank you for reading it. Thank you for passing it on and sharing. It was the highest read blog post I have written so far. It reached hundreds and hundreds of views within a matter of hours.
My appreciation for the support is beyond words. It is as simple as that.
Here, on my blog, I am allowed to write how I feel and what I want. But there comes a point where I share too much. Perhaps that blog was too much. I received so much positive feedback, and for every person that praised it, it seemed there was a person who disrespected me for it.
With the good, comes the bad.
I have taken down the letter. In my hopes that it might reach the person it was meant for, it reached enough women in need to make a difference. Tons and tons and tons of women. That is enough for me. He doesn't need to see it. I needed to write it.
Which is the whole point of why I write what I do. For others, but first and foremost, for myself.
Because I shared so much, people felt they could share equally.
Some people went further, though, and made rude and disrespectful comments. Now, I'm not saying that I can't take the heat. Criticism is fine when it's in a small dose, and meant for learning purposes. But what I am saying is that I went through enough when I put my heart out there, as well as experiencing it. I don't want to take anymore.

Lastly,
If you think I have "white girl problems" because I was physically abused by a man who I loved and cared about, then I pray for you. You need grace more than I do.
And if you think I'm not praising God enough through my writing or the focus is too heavily on me on my blog, well, go find some radical fundamentalist blog. Because that's not my style.

If you have something mean to say, keep it to yourself. I don't want you around here.

6 comments:

  1. I told you how much I loved reading your letter, but I don't think I mentioned how much it resonated with me. I wasn't in a physically abusive relationship, but I was in a four-year relationship that was abusive in ways that I didn't understand at the time. It was emotionally, spiritually, mentally, and sexually damaging. Thankfully, nothing is beyond repair for God. I love that you put your heart on your sleeve and share it with others, because there's so much empowerment through stories like this. I could relate almost every aspect of that letter to images from my own past. Maybe I feel this way because I write things similar to your letter, and seem to have had some similar circumstances. Regardless, thank you for putting your heart out there.

    Having the grace to openly forgive someone who wronged you is a sign of the grace that you, yourself, have been filled with. You don't need to spell it out for us - God filled you with love and grace that you were able to extend to someone who hurt you. It isn't by your own might, but by God's work through you and in you. If that isn't evidence of praising God, then I must be living my life completely wrong.

    Now, to put the "white girl problems" theory to rest - I'm Egyptian. Abuse happens far more often than we know, and it knows no race, no faith, no age, no boundaries.

    Thanks for putting your story out there on behalf of all of us, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you so, so very much. I can't explain to you what that means to me.

      Delete
  2. Write write write! Write books and I'll buy them all. In bulks. Thank you for your beautiful, inspirational words. Over and over again. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know who you are but I love you anyway. :)

      Delete
  3. Put the letter back up and disable comments. I need to read it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to agree with this post above me. put it back up and disable comments...

    ReplyDelete